View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Intel 82579LM-nic driver and custom ESXI ISO from scratch 

Post Intel 82579LM-nic driver and custom ESXI ISO from scratch
Greetings,
I've spent the last few days stalking the net and this board, specifically with trying to figure out the whole non-supported driver thing with ESXI. Everywhere I look I keep seeing this board and Chilly's name out there. It seems like you guys are working hard to help other folks out.

Unfortunately, my work place has very tight controls and though I'm only in the the testing phase of using ESXI, I can't bring in a driver and a custom-built ISO made from third-party software.

So, I'd like to explore how to do the same kind of thing you guys make look so easy, from scratch.

1. I know that I'd have to start with the Intel linux driver (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... e&lang=eng).

2. Then I'd have to compile it and somehow get it packaged like the VMWare driver bundles.

3. Finally, I'd have to use VMWare's PowerCLI to make a custom ISO.

If I get this thing rolling on the hardware I'm given now, then after a few months of positive results I'd be able to convince my work to put some money toward buying actual compliant hardware.

In the meantime, can any of you give some pointers for the three broad steps I've outlined above, and point out anything I'm might not be aware of?

I especially know nothing about compiling drivers...

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Post Re: Intel 82579LM-nic driver and custom ESXI ISO from scratc
Hello schwarznavy and welcome!

First, if your not familiar with compiling from source code, your going to have a up hill battle. Even experienced developers have issues at times. Also, you do have to have the source code it's self, not a precompiled driver.
Second, you have to set up a build environment based on the requirements set by VMware. I've outlined what these requirements are in the 5.0 OSS source code thread.
Third, the source code your trying to port over to vmware, has to be modified for vmware itself. (This is where I have trouble.) And you also have to modify VMware's build-drivers.sh script to include the source code you want a driver for.
Finally, I personally have spent almost 2 weeks just to get the correct build environment setup for my particular driver, so it will take some effort on your part as well. Fortunately for you, there are already Intel based drivers included in VMware's OSS source so you have a head start. You may even be able to simply edit the device.map (<--generic name) to add your devices id's to an exsisting driver module. And ask around, there's always someone here to help. Dave is a saint and will lend any help he possibly can.

Anyway, welcome aboard and good luck on your journey! Feel free to reach out to me. I'll help in any way I can.

---AdamK

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am

Did you ever get this ISO created? I have an Optiplex 9010 with the same driver problem and same driver needs. Dell website states that they have a esxi 5.1 install that works but i can not get past the Network Adapter error reboot screen. If anyone has anysuggestions please let me know.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:32 pm
Site Admin

Jabbo-Lefty wrote:
Did you ever get this ISO created? I have an Optiplex 9010 with the same driver problem and same driver needs. Dell website states that they have a esxi 5.1 install that works but i can not get past the Network Adapter error reboot screen. If anyone has anysuggestions please let me know.

See the sample here http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/12/13/vmw ... c-support/

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 am
Site Admin

schwarznavy, there are a few links to other pages on the below page that go through the development process as well.
http://www.vm-help.com/esx41/developing_for_ESXi.php

I'd suggest trying to pick up an Intel pro1000 based card and add it to your server. It might save some time and headaches. That said, if you do go the driver route, you can use this process to same time building ISO images.
1) boot with the regular CD
2) mount a USB flash device containing your test driver
3) manually load the driver

If step 3 proves successful, then you can worry about integrating it into the install CD.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security
Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 am

Worked great Dave Thank you so much for the link.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]